Mitchell Karchemsky

Industrial / Interaction Designer - UC Berkeley

Team 4 Element

One of my most passionate projects is mentoring a high school robotics team for FRC (First Robotics Competition). FIRST Robotics Competition is an international high school robotics competition. Each year, teams of high school students and mentors work during a six-week period to build game-playing robots that weigh up to 120 pounds (54 kg). ... The goal of the program is to inspire students to be science and technology leaders.(source: Wikipedia). It is incredibly satisfying to show students who have little to know experience in engineering the process from ideation to prototyping to full build.

I lead the team of over 100 students with 4 other mentors. Although it seems incredibly daunting, the reward of being able to guide students through the engineering process is incredibly worth while. I have been mentoring the team since 2013.

My role on the team is Systems Engineer Mentor. Essentially anything related to the robot sees my hands (I don't handle logistics for the team, we have an amazing group of copy writers and organizers who manage all of the inner workings of the team). As Systems Engineer, my duties include initial prototyping, design and CAD, manufacturing and machining, programming and electronics, and some coaching.